The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 imposes a statutory duty on employers in so far as reasonably practicable the health and safety of their employees whilst at work. This duty also extends to others who may be affected by that work.
Employees also have a statutory duty to take care of themselves and others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. To enable these duties to be carried out, it is our intent to ensure that responsibilities for health and safety matters are effectively assigned, accepted and fulfilled at all levels within our organisation.
So far as reasonably practicable, we will ensure that:
- Adequate resources are provided to ensure that proper provision can be made for health and safety.
- Risk assessments are carried out and periodically reviewed.
- Systems of work are provided and maintained that are safe and without risks to health.
- Arrangements for use, handling, storage, and transport of articles and substances for use at work are safe and without risks to health.
- All employees are provided with such information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to secure their safety and health at work and the safety of others who may be affected by their actions.
- Health surveillance will be provided for employees, where appropriate.
- The provision and maintenance of all plant, machinery and equipment is safe and without risk to health.
- The working environment of all employees is safe and without risks to health and that adequate provision is made with regard to the facilities and arrangements for their welfare at work.
- The place at work is safe and that there is safe access to and from the workplace.
- Monitoring activities are undertaken to maintain agreed standards.
It is the duty of all employees at work:
- To take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts of omissions at work, and co-operate with us in fulfilling our statutory duties.
- Not to interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interest of health and safety.
Detailed reference information for employees can be found in the Employee Information Manual, which is kept at Ridgeway House.
- Health and Safety Policy will be reviewed at least annually, amended and updated as and when necessary.
- Communication of any such changes will be made to employees.
- There are established and maintained effective procedures for consultation and communication between all levels of management and employees on all matters relating to health safety and welfare.